Tuesday, October 22, 2013
Friday, October 18, 2013
Thursday, October 17, 2013
- CO is a produced anytime a fuel is burned. Potential sources include gas or oil furnaces, water heaters, space heaters, clothes dryers, barbecue grills, fireplaces, wood-burning stoves, gas ovens, generators and car exhaust fumes.
- Every year more than 10,000 people die or seek medical attention due to CO poisoning from home-related products. (Source: Consumer Product Safety Commission)
- More than two-thirds of Americans use gas, wood, kerosene or another fuel as their home's major heat source.
- 65% of CO poisoning deaths from consumer products are due to heating systems.
- Only 27% of homes in America have carbon monoxide alarms, according to recent industry research.
- An idling vehicle in an attached garage, even with the garage door opened, can produce concentrated amounts of CO that can enter your home through the garage door or nearby windows.
- CO poisoning deaths from portable generators have doubled for the past two years, and many of these deaths occurred in the winter months and during power outages.
- A poorly maintained gas stove can give off twice the amount of CO than one in good working order.
- Install at least one battery-powered CO alarm or AC-powered unit with battery backup on each level of your home and near sleeping areas.
- Have a licensed professional inspect heating systems and other fuel-burning appliances annually.
- Install fuel-burning appliances properly and operate according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Keep chimneys clear of animal nests, leaves and residue to ensure proper venting. Have all fireplaces cleaned and inspected annually.
- Do not block or seal shut the exhaust flues or ducts used by water heaters, ranges and clothes dryers.
- Do not leave your car running in an attached garage or carport.
- Do not use ovens or stoves to heat your home.
- Do not use charcoal or gas grills inside or operate outdoors near a window where CO fumes could seep in through a window.
- Check all carbon monoxide alarms in your home. Do they use the most accurate sensing technology? Do they need new batteries?
Tuesday, October 15, 2013
Monday, October 14, 2013
Friday, October 11, 2013
On average, an estimated 164,500 cooking related fires in residential buildings occur each year in the United States;
Residential building cooking fires occurred mainly in the evening hours from 4 to 9 p.m., peaking from 5 to 8 p.m, accounting for 26 percent of the fires;
Oil, fat and grease (51 percent) were the leading types of material ignited in cooking fires occurring in residential buildings.
Cooking is the leading cause of home fires and fire injuries;
1 in 8 households will have a cooking fire each year;
The leading cause of kitchen fires is unattended cooking.
And sadly, Montgomery County's first fire death of 2013 occurred in the 1st Battalion and was the result of clothing that caught fire during cooking.
It is clear that cooking is dangerous. The numbers do not lie! Don't be distracted while you cook - it can save your life!
Thursday, October 10, 2013
All Open House events are free and will feature many exciting activities including tours of the station, fire safety activities, educational information/handouts, demonstrations of emergency equipment and much more. Please visit the fire station’s website or call for a complete listing of activities planned.
13900 Old Columbia Pike, Silver Spring, MD
Kensington Volunteer Fire Department, Station 5 12 – 4 p.m.
Hillandale Volunteer Fire Department, Station 24 12 – 3 p.m.
Tuesday, October 8, 2013
Breast cancer is the second leading cause of death in women and it is estimated that there are over 225,000 new cases each year and that 39,000 women will die from this disease. Approximately 2,050 men will be diagnosed with breast cancer and 20% will not survive. Breast cancer is not gender specific and firefighters in Montgomery County will be trading their traditional on-duty shirts for pink ones in support of breast cancer awareness throughout the month of October.
“Cancer affects millions of people worldwide and this program provides an opportunity to have an impact and make a difference in the community,” said Fire Chief Steven Lohr. “This cause is particularly important and one that, too often, strikes close to home.”
The International Association of Firefighter’s (IAFF) involvement in breast cancer awareness dates back to 2010 and was the result of "Resolution 21" at the 2010 IAFF Convention in San Diego, California. This resolution, entitled "Care Enough to Wear Pink," launched a nationwide response by fire departments across the Country to support breast cancer awareness initiatives.
This year’s campaign by Montgomery County Fire and Rescue has raised $12,000 in proceeds to be donated to The Susan G. Komen Foundation and The Red Devils charity, a Maryland-based breast cancer organization whose mission is to fund services that improve the quality of life for Maryland breast cancer patients and their families. Please visit the web pages of both charitable organizations by visiting ww5.komen.org and www.the-red-devils.org for more information about the organizations.
Monday, October 7, 2013
This years theme is - Prevent Kitchen Fires! In Montgomery County, as well as nationally, most fire occur in kitchens than in any other part of the home.
To learn more, please go here: Prevent Kitchen Fires
Saturday, October 5, 2013
Friday, October 4, 2013
Unit Citations, a set on Flickr.
By Battalion Chief Mark Davis
Several units from the lower end of the 1st Battalion participated in a Unit Citation Ceremony at Silver Spring Fire Station 1 on Wednesday, October 2nd. On April 2, 2013, units responded to 415 Silver Spring Avenue for fire in the apartment building. They arrived to find heavy fire conditions on the top floor and made multiple rescues. Sadly - one resident perished in the blaze - but many others were saved. The work of these units is exemplary of what it takes to be a firefighter when the "pressure is on."
Wednesday, October 2, 2013
|Photo Courtesy of SSVFD web site|
A special treat, though it is dependent on weather and availability, is that the new MD State Police Helicopter as well as the Children's Hospital Helicopter are slatted to stop by for a visit (and possible a demonstration).