Chief's Blog

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Help Needed - Arson Fire at St. Paul's Park

Information needed regarding Monday nights fire in Town of Kensington at St Paul's Park on Plyers Mill Rd. Call MCFRS Arson Tipline 240.777.2263

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Car Into House

MCFRS Units were dispatched to the 19600 block of Clubhouse Rd., near Ridgeline Dr., in Gaithersburg for a report of a car into a house with entrapment.

Units arrived to find two occupants in a car that had crashed into a townhouse.  The striking vehicle crossed Club House Road and hit a fire hydrant before crashing into the townhouse.  The driver was trapped but was quickly extricated.  Both patients were evaluated with one adult male transported to an area hospital with serious injuries and one adult female transported with non life threatening injuries.

There was one adult female occupant at home who was on a couch when the car crashed into house.  She was not injured though the structural damage was significant which has resulted in her having been displaced.  The address was corrected to the 9900 block of Ridgeline Drive.

Click on photo below for more: 


Smoke Alarms – Don’t Stay Home Without Them!

MCFRS has had several significant fires this year, including some in which people died, where there were no working smoke alarms present. 

After many of these fires, MCFRS personnel have gone door to door in the impacted neighborhood offering to check smoke alarms and provide safety information.  During the door to door effort our Firefighters are finding an “alarming” number of non-working smoke alarms.  To ensure the safety of those residents, we immediately install a new smoke alarm and/or battery.   

Please make sure your home has working smoke alarms!  Test yours today!  Your life may depend on it!

Below please find Ten Tips on smoke alarms, from our friends at the US Fire Administration, you will find useful.

Follow these 10 easy tips on smoke alarms:


  1. One of the best ways to protect yourself and your family is to have a working smoke alarm that can sound fast for both a fire that has flames, and a smoky fire that has fumes without flames. It is called a "Dual Sensor Smoke Alarm."
  2. Place a smoke alarm on the ceiling of every level of your home and both inside and outside bedrooms. Children and older people can sleep though the loud sound of a smoke alarm. Make sure your escape plan includes someone that can help children and others wake up immediately to escape from the home.
  3. If you keep your bedroom doors closed, place a smoke alarm on the ceiling of each bedroom.
  4. Check smoke alarms monthly by pressing the test button.
  5. Never take smoke alarm batteries out to put into other items like games or remote controls.
  6. Teach children what the smoke alarm sounds like and what to do when they hear the alarm sound.
  7. If there is a fire, leave the home right away by crawling low under the smoke and never go back inside.
  8. If smoke from cooking makes the alarm sound, press the "hush" button, if your alarm has one. You can also turn on the kitchen fan, open a window or wave a towel near the alarm until it stops making the sound. Never take the battery out of the alarm.
  9. Most alarms need a new battery at least once a year. Some smoke alarms have batteries that last for up to 10 years. If your smoke alarm is over 10 years old, replace it with a new alarm and a new battery.
  10. If you rent, talk to your landlord about placing a working smoke alarm in your home. You still need to buy a new battery at least once a year for the alarm.

Monday, October 13, 2014

Blood Drive In Memory of Father And Son Firefighters

Please consider supporting this important cause in memory of two of our own:

In Memory of Fire Fighters Carlos Alfaro, Sr. and Carlos Alfaro, Jr.

Sunday, November 2nd
8AM – 2PM
Fire Station 16
111 University Blvd. E.Silver Spring, MD

Save Lives,Donate Blood…


We appreciate a call to confirm an appointment with:Steve Mann, 240-438-2461

Friday, October 10, 2014

Captain Rick Triplett Receives Recognition From Firefighter Cancer Support Network

Yesterday at Fire Station #23 in Rockville, Captain Rick Triplett was honored by the Firefighter Cancer Support Network (FCSN) and Honeywell First Responder Products for his innovative firefighter cancer prevention concept.

Understanding the significant cancer risks that all firefighters face, Captain Triplett came up with a concept of having firefighters wash their protective hoods once a week to help reduce their exposure to dangerous carcinogens. Captain Triplett’s concept led to FCSN’s national Wash-Your-Hood-Sunday (WYHS) initiative, with support from Honeywell First Responder Products, that launched last month.

Cancer is a very real and growing threat to every firefighter across the country as multiple studies, including the US Fire Administration and NIOSH cancer study released in 2013, have shown higher rates of multiple types of cancers in firefighters compared to the general American population.

Congratulations to Captain Triplett for receiving this recognition as well as "Thanks" for making a significant contribution to firefighter health and safety here in Montgomery County and across our great Country!


Press Release from FCSN: MCFRS Capt. Rick Triplett accepts leadership award


Photos from the event