|County Executive Leggett makes the first contribution|
Thanks to the residents (and commuters) in Montgomery County, MCFRS is the leading Fill the Boot IAFF contributor in the Maryland and consistently has been one of the top contributors in the Country. In the 30 year history of MCFRS supporting MDA, IAFF Career Fire Fighters Local 1664 has raised about $2.5 million!
So if you see our Firefighters out in the community over the next three days, please consider making a donation to help the cause.
All monies raised through “Fill the Boot” stays locally in the metro area to help support families dealing with neuromuscular diseases by providing research, wheelchairs, clinic treatments and most importantly allowing children to MDA Summer Camp for 1 week.
History of Montgomery County Career Fire Fighters and MDA
- Montgomery County Career Fire Fighters Association, Local 1664, joined the fight against the more
- Since the first Fill the Boot campaign in 1984 till 2006 Montgomery County Fire Fighters would donate their “off duty” time for 3 days prior to the Labor Day weekend to conduct “Fill the Boot” at various intersections around Montgomery County. During this period Local 1664 raised $783,452.00.
- In 2007, thanks to the efforts from Past President John Sparks, Past Fire Chief Tom Carr and then Division Chief Ritchie Bowers along with the support of County Executive Ike Leggett career fire fighters were given permission to participate in “Fill the Boot” while on duty. During the period from 2007 to 2014 Local 1664 has raised, $1,540,842.00
- Local 1664 is the largest contributing IAFF Local in the state of Maryland for MDA.
- In 2007 Montgomery County Career Fire Fighters placed # 5 in the country collecting over $234,000.
- In 2008 Montgomery County Career Fire Fighters placed # 9 in the country collecting over $206,000.
- In 2009 Montgomery County Career Fire Fighters placed # 4 in the country collecting a record $254,102.
- In 2014 Montgomery County Career Fire Fighters placed # 10 in the country collecting over $194,000.00.
- In the 30 year history of Montgomery County Career Fire Fighters supporting the MDA, Local 1664 has raised $2,324,294.00
- Local 1664 also supports MDA by attending MDA Summer Camp in Leonardtown, MD. During Summer Camp, Montgomery County Fire Fighters bring a fire engine to camp for kids to tour and the Locals “Beef Brothers” provide dinner to approximately 150 children and counselors.