Saturday, April 25, 2015

2nd Alarm Apartment Fire

From 2nd Alarm Apartment Fire last night 4/25/15 - 3904 Blackburn La; 4-story apartment building. Probable Cause, improperly discarded smoking materials. Damage estimate of $450k; 12 families displaced with one minor injury. Photo via Burtonsville VFD Facebook Page


Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Safety Recalls

Several safety recalls occurred yesterday that I wanted to make you aware of. They cover potential fire and injury hazards.

I am posting these as all of us at MCFRS hope to prevent any of you from having to call 911 because you have been injured or your house has caught fire.  Help us to help YOU by reviewing the recalls below and take the recommended steps to handle the situation if you find you are impacted by any of the recalls.

As always thanks to our partners in safety, Consumer Product Safety Commission, for making this important information available.

Recalls:

Lenovo Expands Recall of Battery Packs for ThinkPad Notebook Computers Due to Fire Hazard

Gorsuch Recalls ERTLRENZ Ski Boot Heat Liners Due to Fire Hazard

Hair Dryers Recalled by AG Hair Due to Electrocution Hazard

Trek Recalls Bicycles Equipped with Front Disc Brakes to Replace Quick Release Lever Due to Crash Hazard

Monday, April 20, 2015

Chief Jim Jarboe Receives National Award

Congratulations to Takoma Park Volunteer Fire Department’s Chief Jim Jarboe as he was recognized by the National Volunteer Fire Council (NVFC) with the NVFC Fire Prevention and Education Award. 

Chief Jarboe was recognized for his over 50 years of providing fire prevention and education training to the Takoma Park community.  To view the write up please click here.

Congratulations on this well deserved Award Chief! 

Friday, April 17, 2015

Attention Fire Service Personnel - Arrive Alive & Survive Symposium Conference

A must attend, national conference for all public safety personnel. The conference will include best safety practices for the fire service. These best practices will focus on: modern fire-fighting (based on research), roadway safety and traffic incident management, burn injury prevention and support, solar panel fire-fighting operations, Rescue Task Force operations, contamination of protective gear, Line-of-Duty Death and Close Call Reports, cancer in the fire service, and NFFF Programs.


Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Outdoor Cooking and Recreational Fires near Multi-Family Buildings

Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Services would like to share with you the criteria for cooking outdoors and recreational fires near multi-family dwellings to ensure a safe and enjoyable summer. “Multi-family” is any building that has three or more separate living units. This includes garden-style apartments, mid and high-rise apartments, and some condos.

Fire Attendant: 
All outdoor cooking or recreational fires must be constantly attended by a responsible person at least 18 years of age until the fire is extinguished. A garden hose or other extinguishing equipment has to be nearby and readily available for use. Grills or recreational fires cannot be used to burn trash or other combustible waste. If the fire department is contacted and determines your situation to be hazardous, the fire department can require you to extinguish your fire.

Outdoor Cooking: 
Outdoor cooking includes any gas-fired, charcoal, or electric grill. All outdoor cooking must be done at least 20 feet away from any building. It is not permitted on balconies, under overhanging portions of buildings, or on roofs. Gas-fired, charcoal, and electric grills cannot be stored on balconies.

Recreational Fires: 
Recreational fires include campfires, fire bowls, chimineas, and fire pits. Please notify the Office of Fire Code Compliance at 240-777-2457 prior to initiating a recreational fire. Permits from the Office of Fire Code Compliance and the Department of Environmental Protection are required. Recreational fires must be kept at least 25 feet away from any building. Fires are not permitted on Code Orange or Code Red Air Quality days.

After the fire: 
Dispose of all ashes in a safe manner. After 24 hours have passed, all left over hot ashes should be thoroughly dampened, cooled and stored in a metal can that is solely used for ash storage. Do not discard hot ashes in a compost pile, paper bag, cardboard box, or anything that is combustible. Be careful handling partially burned wood that may still be smoldering as it can cause serious burns