Monday, August 31, 2009
Watch the Kids - County Schools Start Today!
* Slow down in or near school and residential areas.
* Drive with your headlights on - even during the day - so children and other drivers can see you.
* Look for clues such as School Safety Patrols, Adult Crossing Guards, bicycles, and playgrounds, which indicate children could be in the area.
* Always stop for school buses that are loading/unloading students.
* Limit distractions such as cell phones, CD players or other devices that cause you to take your eyes off the road.
* Practice extra caution in adverse weather conditions.
* Pay particular attention near schools during the morning and afternoon hours.
* Scan between parked cars and other objects for signs that children could dart into the road.
Safe Walking Tips for Children
* Always obey Adult Crossing Guards and AAA School Safety Patrols.
* Before crossing - look all ways.
* Obey all traffic signals.
* Use crosswalks and corners to cross the road.
* Where there is no sidewalk and it is necessary to walk in the roadway, walk facing traffic and as far from the roadway as possible.
* Avoid crossing between parked cars.
* Watch for cars. Be sure that the way is clear before you cross.
Remember, school's open - drive carefully. You can make a difference just by staying alert and taking the extra care while driving where children are present.