Chief's Blog

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Media Advisory: Fire Causes Significant Damage to Potomac Home


IMMEDIATE RELEASE:  February 27, 2013


      Fire Causes Significant Damage to Potomac Home

        Fire Displaces Family of Four 

                                                        
Montgomery County, MD - - -  A Potomac home suffered over $600,000 in damages after a fire Monday afternoon. Firefighters were dispatched shortly after 4:00 p.m. to the 12400 block of Willow Green Court in Potomac for the report of a house fire. First arriving units described heavy fire and smoke conditions and requested additional resources.  
Photos courtesy of Rockville Volunteer Fire Department 

Two teenagers were home at the time of the fire and were able to safely escape after an alert neighbor walking her dog smelled smoke and went to investigate to locate the source. The neighbor saw flames to the rear of a home and quickly called 9-1-1, secured her dog to a nearby mailbox and ran to the home and began to pound on the front door of the home in an attempt to alert any occupants inside that the home was on fire. The teens inside narrowly escaped the blaze and officials are crediting the alert neighbor’s quick actions in helping the occupants escape safely.   

Fire and Explosive Investigators conducted a detailed investigation and have determined that the fire was accidental in nature and believe that cooking materials placed outside to cool sparked the fire. Investigators noted that, due to extensive fire damage to the home, they were unable to determine whether the home was equipped with smoke alarms.   

One firefighter was injured and was transported to a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries and has been released. Approximately 80 fire rescue personnel responded and were on the scene at the height of firefighting operations and the American Red Cross was assisting the displaced family.

Fire department officials remind all residents that smoke alarms are one of the most important safety features to have in your home and, with many units available for under twenty dollars, they are worth every penny. 

More photos below and HERE


                                                                            #  #  #


                                            
Photos courtesy of Rockville Volunteer Fire Department 
Photos courtesy of Rockville Volunteer Fire Department 




























No comments: