Yesterday, Sunday, MCFRS personnel responded to two separate fires in clothes dryers in local homes. Over the last several months, MCFRS has responded to a noticeable number of this type of home fire.
As I mentioned in a Blog Posting on May 13, 2010 (read here) a vast majority of these fires are not due to an electrical malfunction of some sort but by actions we take or FAIL to take. A lack of maintenance, buildup of lint, placing inappropriate items in the dryer and inadequate venting are frequently cited as contributing factors.
Preventing this type of fire from starting in your home is relatively simple. Please take a moment to go to our web site and learn some “Do’s” and “Don’ts” as it relates to dryers: Clothes Dryer Fire Safety Tips
In addition, please take a moment to read an interesting document from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission regarding Clothes Dryer Maintenance.
Please spread the word, and these safety tips, to all friends and family!
As always, please stay safe!