- A tornado watch means a tornado is possible in your area
- A tornado warning means a tornado has been spotted. Take shelter immediately.
- Determine the best place in your home to take shelter during a tornado. Basements or spaces underground are the best spots.
- If you don’t have a basement, find an interior room on the lowest floor of your home.
- In a high-rise building, choose an interior space on the lowest floor possible.
- Ensure your family knows what to do in the event of a tornado watch or warning.
Tip: CERT training prepares you to help your family and your community before, during, and after an emergency. Learn more about CERT and other training opportunities here.
- Seek shelter immediately
- Stay away from windows and doors
- If you are in a vehicle or mobile home, evacuate to a building that provides better protection
- If a building is not available, lie flat in a low-lying area (such as a ditch). Do not go under a bridge or underpass.
From Montgomery County Emergency Management Page.