|Photo via Lowes.com|
- You must have permission of the land owner.
- There must be one person at least 18 years of age to assume responsibility for the use of these appliances.
- A permit from the Fire Marshal or the Department of Environmental Protection is not required.
- Use in accordance to the manufacturer’s guidelines. Once you purchase this appliance, keep these guidelines in a safe place for future reference.
- Use of Fire Pits, Fire Bowls, Chimineas and similar portable devices must be at least 20 feet away from any building or structure. Keep a clear area (clear meaning free of anything that can burn) of at least 3 feet in diameter around the appliance. Please remember that mulch can burn so keep your appliance at least 3 feet away from mulch as well.
- Do not use or store Fire Pits, Fire Bowls, Chimineas or similar devices on a balcony or deck.
- Burn only aged dried wood. The burning of any type of construction material or trash is prohibited.
- Do not use any type of flammable or combustible liquid at any time.
- Have a garden hose connected to a constant water source available and close by.
- Smoke is not allowed to cross property lines. Be mindful of the wind speed prior to starting this type of fire.
- Do not use on Code Orange or Code Red Air Quality days.
- Dispose of all ashes in a safe manner. After 24 hours has passed, all left over hot ashes must be thoroughly dampened, cooled and stored in a metal can that is used solely for ash storage. Ashes that are 2 or 3 days old may appear to be safe, but can still retain enough heat to cause an unwanted fire. Do not discard hot ashes in a compost pile, paper bag cardboard box or anything that is combustible. Also, be careful in handling partially burned wood. The wood may still be smoldering and cause a serious burn.
Please keep in mind, that if the Fire Department is contacted and determines your situation to be a fire hazard, the Fire Department can require you to extinguish your fire. If additional questions arise, please call the Office of Fire Code Compliance at 240-777-2457.