3 Alarm Fire in the 19300 block of Club House Rd., a set on Flickr.
Three-Alarm Apartment Fire Causes Extensive Damage
Firefighters rescue several residents and pets trapped by the fire
Montgomery County, MD - - - Montgomery County Fire and Rescue units were dispatched at 7:19 p.m. Tuesday evening for the report of an apartment fire in the 19300 block of Club House Road in Gaithersburg. First arriving units encountered heavy fire conditions throughout the building with fire extended through the roof. Command quickly requested additional resources including a second and third alarm. Crews performed an aggressive interior attack and firefighters performed multiple rescues of people trapped by the fire on second and third floor balconies. The rescues also included several pet rescues from top floors of the complex.
The bulk of the fire was out shortly after 8:00 p.m. and firefighters worked late into the night to extinguish hot spots, monitor conditions and conduct overhaul.
Investigators were requested to the scene and have ruled the fire accidental. The fire remains under investigation. Initial damage estimates were $750,000 ($500,000 to the structure/$250,000 to contents). The fire caused extensive damage to 12 units and Red Cross was assisting over 40 residents displaced by the fire.
Two firefighters and three civilians were transported to area hospitals with non-life threatening injuries and were expected to be released last night. Over 100 firefighters were on the scene at the height of firefighting operations.
Firefighters will be returning to the neighborhood throughout the week as part of the Fire Chief’s “Safety in Our Neighborhood” outreach program offering free smoke alarms, replacement batteries and safety information to residents.