- Never rely on window screens to keep children from falling out of windows. A screen is not a safety device - - it is designed to keep insects out, not to keep children in.
- Keep furniture such as sofas, beds and dressers away from windows. This will discourage children from climbing near any windows.
- Keep windows closed and locked when they are not being used.
- When windows are open for ventilation, take advantage of all safety features. If possible, open windows from the top and not the bottom if you have double-hung windows – the kind that can open down from the top as well as up from the bottom.
- Install safety devices such as window guards or window stops to help prevent falls.
Window falls can happen quickly and, in some cases, can be deadly. When keeping your kids safe, MCFRS reminds parents that no device can replace active supervision. For more safety tips, visit our website at www.mcfrs.org/mcsafe.