Monday, December 31, 2007

New Articles and Safety Tips

Chief Tom Carr would like to wish everyone a Happy and SAFE New Year. Below, you will find some interesting articles and safety tips that we here at MCFRS hope you will take time to read! Happy New Year!

MCFRS Virtual TV We are currently in the Beta phase of testing out a new idea in outreach to the community.

Learn How To ReduceYour Property Tax Bill By 50% One-Time Property Tax Credit for Fire Sprinkler Systems.

Preparing A Home Fire Safety Plan
Fire Chief Tom Carr of the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service (MCFRS) ask that you please review the below guidelines for developing and practicing a home fire escape plan.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention
With the cold weather, our furnaces will be working to keep our homes toasty warm. The use of improperly operating oil, natural gas and LPG forced air heating systems and appliances can result in Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning. Chief Tom Carr and the men and women of the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service (MCFRS) offers some of the CO exposure warning signs and symptoms and what you can do to protect yourself and your family from this hidden danger.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

MCFRS Virtual TV

We are currently in the Beta phase of testing out a new idea in outreach to the community: MCFRS Virtual TV

This is through the You Tube web site and offers a unique and cost effect way (read no cost) for us to reach out to our community we serve. The beauty of course, is that you can access it when your time permits to see what it is we are doing. What a great tool to go along with our MCFRS Blog Talk Radio Show! It will also compliment our Life Safety Education Blog!

The goal is to have shows and news articles that may be of interest to our diverse community members. My feeling is more and more folks are seeking these types of communication and news tools. Articles, videos, news, and shows that they can view at a time and place that is convenient to them whether it be at home, the local Starbuck's, or work. TV's are now being set up to where you can view a cable channel or browse the internet and read, watch, or listen to whatever programming you want.

Heck, with some of the new cell phone technology, I can see soccer Moms and Dads watching or listening to our shows (via something like the iPhone) as they maybe have to stand by at little Johnny's soccer practice!

The possibilities are endless! My hope is that all of this information will empower and educate all people in our community and will lead to a "Culture of preparedness and safety!"


Thursday, December 6, 2007

COG Life Safety Group Turkey Fryer Event

First, I have learned how to use YouTube and Post video clips! That can be good or bad depending on your perspective!

This video is from the Turkey Fryer Fire Press event we hosted in Fairfax City, VA. It clearly demonstrates the dangers associated with using this type of cooking appliance. This was shot by Lt. Raul Castillo of Fairfax County Fire and Rescue.

Monday, December 3, 2007

Safety News Flash!

Safety News Flash!

The National Weather Service has issued a WIND Advisory for the entire National Capital Area, effective from now through 1AM Tuesday morning. Winds will consistently be 25-30 mph, with gust of 50 mph.

As we all know, with high winds come potential power outages. We in the fire department also know that this may mean good intentioned folks using candles to light their homes during the evening hours which sometimes can lead to a tragic fire in the home. It may also mean folks using generators - though not in the safest of ways.

To help avoid a potentially tragic event Chief Tom Carr, and the women and men of Montgomery County Fire and Rescue, encourage you to review the potential life saving information below so that you and your loved ones can take appropriate steps in the event of a power outage.

During power outages:

* Flashlights and other lights generated by batteries are much safer light sources than candles.
* Try to avoid carrying a lit candle and never use it to look for things.
* Never use a candle for light when fueling equipment such as a kerosene heater or lantern. The flame may ignite the fumes.
*Remember: A candle is an open flame. It can easily ignite any combustible nearby!
*Always provide adequate ventilation when using wood stoves and fireplaces and ensure proper installation, adjustment and operation of all flame-burning appliances.
*Never use an oven or gas range to heat the house.
*Never run a generator, used to supply electricity to a home, inside the home to include garages! This can result in Carbon Monoxide fumes seeping into the home and poisoning, or killing, all in the home!
*Use generators OUTSIDE the home!
For further helpful related tips, please click below:

Candle Safety Tips

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention