Monday, July 28, 2014
Cooking Safety Tips
Below, please find some important tips to help prevent this all too common cause of fire!
* Never leave cooking food on the stovetop unattended, and keep a close eye on food cooking inside the oven. Unattended cooking is the leading cause of home cooking fires. Three in every 10 reported home fires start in the kitchen - more than any other place in the home.
* Keep cooking areas clean and clear of combustibles (i.e. potholders, towels, rags, drapes and food packaging).
*Keep children and pets away from cooking areas by creating a three-foot (one-meter) "kid/pet-free zone" around the stove.
* Turn pot handles inward so they can't be bumped and children can't grab them.
* Clean cooking surfaces regularly to prevent grease buildup which can ignite.
* Wear short, close fitting or tightly rolled sleeves when cooking. Loose clothing can dangle onto stove burners and catch fire.
* Never use a wet oven mitt, as it presents a scald danger if the moisture in the mitt is heated.
* Always keep a potholder, oven mitt and lid handy. If a small grease fire starts in a pan, put on an oven mitt and smother the flames by carefully sliding the lid over the pan. You may also use baking soda. Turn off the burner. Don't remove the lid until it is completely cool. Never pour water on a grease fire and never discharge a fire extinguisher onto a pan fire, as it can spray or shoot burning grease around the kitchen, actually spreading the fire.
* If there is an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed to prevent flames from burning you and your clothing. Call 9-1-1 from a safe location.
* Never leave a child unattended in the kitchen. Close supervision is essential, whether children are helping an adult cook or simply watching.
* If there is a microwave fire, keep the door closed and unplug the microwave - If safe to do so. Call 9-1-1 from a safe location. Remember that food cooked in a microwave can be dangerously hot. Remove the lids or other coverings carefully to prevent steam burns.
* Double-check the kitchen before you go to bed or leave the house. Make sure all other appliances are turned off.