Monday, December 29, 2014

A Close Call

By: Lt. Robert Furst

On Friday, December 26 at approximately 1 PM, MCFRS Firefighters were dispatched to a report of a house on fire.  Units arrived on scene and found a fence on fire - which we quickly extinguished before it reached the house.

Improper disposal of fireplace ashes caused this homeowner's fence to burn. The fire nearly spread to their house.

Please remember to discard your ashes in a metal container and store that container on a non-combustible surface.  A few related safety tips here: Fireplace and Wood Burning Safety.  See below for an example of a metal container.

Firefighter making sure fire is out

An example of a good metal container.

No comments: