- Never rely on window screens to keep children from falling out of windows. A screen is not a safety device - - it is designed to keep insects out, not to keep children in.
- Keep furniture such as sofas, beds and dressers away from windows. This will discourage children from climbing near any windows.
- Keep windows closed and locked when they are not being used.
- When windows are open for ventilation, take advantage of all safety features. If possible, open windows from the top and not the bottom if you have double-hung windows – the kind that can open down from the top as well as up from the bottom.
- Install safety devices such as window guards or window stops to help prevent falls.
Saturday, September 26, 2015
Window Safety – Kids Can’t Fly
Windows play a vital role in home safety, serving as a secondary escape route in the event of a fire or other emergency, but they also pose a risk for a fall if safety measures are not followed. Safety tips to help prevent window-related injuries in the home: