Sunday, July 17, 2016

Propane Grill Fire Causes One Minor Injury

On Saturday, July 16 at approximately 4 p.m., MCFRS units responded for a reported fire on a deck in the 2300 block of North Gate Terrace in the Layhill area of the county. First arriving firefighters found a propane grill on fire on the deck to the rear of the home.

All occupants were safely out of the house though firefighters reported one occupant with minor burns that required medical evaluation. Firefighters let the 'venting' propane tank burn and held it in check, before extinguishment containing the fire to the deck with no extension to the home.

The occupant of the home stated that a new propane cylinder had been installed on the grill earlier in the day. After lighting the grill, the occupant heard a slight hissing noise in the area of the propane cylinder and was checking the fitting of the hose to the cylinder when a flash fire occurred.

Approximately 45 firefighters were on the scene. One adult female occupant of the home was transported to an area hospital for a check-up of minor burns. Damages were estimated to be $500 total to the grill and deck.

A contributing factor in the fire not spreading to the home was the fact the occupant placed the propane grill away from house. MCFRS recommends that residents position the grill well away from siding, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches. Learn more safe grilling tips here: Outdoor Grilling Safety

photos from scene of grill fire on deck

No comments: