Below are some important tips from our friends from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to take into consideration before you train, workout, or compete.
- Pace activity. Start activities slowly and pick up the pace gradually.
- Schedule workouts or practices earlier or later in the day to avoid midday heat.
- Drink from two to four cups of water every hour while exercising. Muscle cramping may be an early sign of heat sickness.
- Drink plenty of water and don’t wait until you’re thirsty to drink.
- Avoid liquids containing large amounts of sugar.
- Exercise with a partner or teammate.
- STOP all activity and get to a cool environment if you feel faint or weak.