- MCFRS Home
- Chief's Blog
Friday, June 24, 2011
Remember, all fireworks are illegal in Montgomery County!
Wednesday, June 22, 2011
The following personnel have been promoted to the rank of Master Firefighter:
• Michael E. Schwab
• Robert W. Scott
• Terryl A. Haynes
• Maria L. Brown
Monday, June 20, 2011
Wednesday, June 15, 2011
The Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service is recruiting for the position of Firefighter/Rescuer I (Recruit). All applicants must meet specific levels of training and certification in order to qualify for consideration. This recruitment will be used to establish an eligibility list for two upcoming recruit classes.
Starting Salary for all applicants hired: $41,613
The Firefighter/Rescuer I (Recruit) position is an entry level position. Applicants must possess the following certifications to be considered eligible for the position:
Montgomery County is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity. It is the policy of Montgomery County to conduct all employment activities in a manner that will ensure equal employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, genetic status, or political affiliation.
Monday, June 13, 2011
1) NFPA Firefighter II Certification
2) NFPA Hazardous Material Operations Certification (minimum of 24 hours)
3) Maryland certified EMT-B, CRT, or EMT-P
Please view the job posting on Montgomery County MD's iRecruitment website for specific details at
www.montgomerycountymd.gov and click on careers.
Please read the job announcement carefully to ensure you provide the necessary certification documents on time.
Applicants for Recruit Class 35, class B (summer of 2010) must reapply for this position and create a new account on iRecruitment.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
Friday, June 10, 2011
Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service offers an exciting work environment, outstanding benefits, and top-notch training.
The Montgomery County Council has recently allocated funds for two abbreviated recruit classes of pre-trained firefighter/EMTs. For these classes, MCFRS will be seeking applicants with some pre-existing certifications. The specific requirements and certifications necessary to be considered for this recruit class have not been announced, but may include firefighting, hazardous material and EMT experience. Applications for the pre-trained classes may be accepted during the month of June, 2011.
Wednesday, June 8, 2011
During hot weather you will need to increase your fluid intake, regardless of your activity level. Drink plenty of fluids in advance, during and after activities and don’t wait until you're thirsty to hydrate.
2. Dress for the heat.
Wear lightweight, light-colored clothing. Light colors will reflect some of the sun’s energy. Limit your direct exposure to the sun and wear a hat for extra protection.
3. Monitor those at high risk.
4. Children and cars - use common sense.
Never, ever leave infants, children, pets or the elderly in a parked car where temperatures can become life-threatening in minutes, even with the windows rolled down. Additionally, hot interior surfaces of a car can burn a child’s skin. Before you put your child in a car that has been parked in a warm/sunny spot, check the temperature of the carseat or upholstery first.
5. Avoid strenuous activity.
Take regular breaks when exercising or engaged in physical activity on warm days. If you recognize that you, or someone else, is showing signs of a heat-related illness, stop the activity immediately, find a cool place to rest, hydrate and seek medical attention if necessary.
- Heavy sweating
- Confusion, agitation and disorientation
Isolated, elderly adults are at a much higher risk of health-related issues. Be a good neighbor and take a minute to check in with your neighbors.
7. Remember your pets.
Hot weather can affect the well-being of pets making them susceptible to overheating which can lead to very dangerous heat stroke. Always provide a source of water and a cool, ventilated place for your pet. Leaving your pet inside a parked car, even for a few minutes, can be fatal. The inside of a car can reach 120 degrees in a matter of minutes.
8. Stay indoors, if possible.
Stay indoors and, if possible, in an air-conditioned place. If your home does not have air conditioning, consider going to the shopping mall, community center or public library. Even a few hours spent in air conditioning can help your body stay cooler when you return to the heat.
• Motor Vehicle Crash on the IL495 CONN AVE-GEORGIA AVE - Fire Units arrived to find a multi-vehicle collision on the inner loop prior to Georgia Avenue with 9 patients total; 5 traumatically injured patients and 4 patients with minor injuries. All transported to local area hospitals.
• Apartment Fire in the 8100 block of Connecticut Ave – Fire Units responded for reported smoke from an apartment. Fire Fighters found burned paper in a microwave extinguished by the sprinkler system. No civilian or FD injuries. $10K structural loss.
• Deck Collapse in the 18900 block of Treebranch Terr - to the rear of the townhouse. 4 total patients evaluated with 2 transported to a local hospital with scratches and bruises. Building Inspector evaluating design and code issues.
No significant incidents
• Pediatric homicide - minimal FD interaction with patient and/or scene.
• Motor Vehicle Crash at Redland & Mill Run – Fire Units found 2 cars involved in a crash. 6 total patients all with minor injuries transported to a local hospital.
• Water Rescue at Tridelphia Lake – Fire Units arrived with a missing swimmer witnessed going under by friends. Water and land search conducted until dusk. Person found deceased on June 7.
• 8209 Hedge Apple Way - Report of fire on the rear deck of a SFH w/people trapped - Units arrived to find 2-story split level w/exterior fire on the deck on Side C that had extended into the attic. Cause was accidental - unattended candle on deck. There were no injuries. $300K loss to the structure and $100K to contents. 3 adult’s displaced.
Thursday, June 2, 2011
No significant incidents
• POTOMAC RIVER RESCUE at RILEYS LOCK @ 22800 C AND O CANAL - Units arrived on scene with 4 boaters who required assistance to the Virginia side. Non emergency.
• STABBING in the 14100 block of TRAVILAH RD – Units arrived to find 1 patient DOA. Suspect in custody & transported to a local hospital.
• Car into the building in the 9700 block of Traville Gateway Dr – Units arrived to find a sheared off gas meter with a 2 1/2" open main from shear - significant leak. Evacuated several mercantile occupancies downwind and addressed threatened businesses and apartments on Traville Garden & University of MD on Guldesky which reported strong odor. Incident mitigated quickly. 1 person from collision to a local area hospital.
• Hazardous Materials Incident in the 19300 block of Mateny Hill Road - CSX Freight Train with slow fuel leak from locomotive fuel cell. Haz Mat Unit mitigated with plug kit; total product lost about 150 gallons over entire route of travel.
• House fire in the 700 block of Wilson Ave – Fire Units arrived to find heavy fire on first floor of 1,100 sq ft Rancher. 1 civilian injury and 1 Fire Fighter injury. $280K in total damages.
• Barn Fire in the 9800 block of Fields Road. Barn well involved. Loss pending - cause under investigation.
• Pedestrians struck at Veirs Mill Rd / Centerhill St – Units arrived to find 2 pedestrians who had been struck by an auto. 1 trauma code and 1 priority 2 transported to a local area hospital.
• 12731 Layhill Rd Garden Apt Fire from roofers using torches. Box Alarm and RID. Loss: $50K Structure and $10k contents. Occupants of 2-3 units displaced and relocated within complex.
• 14809 Pennfield Circle - Original dispatch of adaptive, upgraded to box assignment for a high-rise apartment building - Units on scene w/nothing evident and building being evacuated - Food on stove with one sprinkler head activated, no extension - CE requested to scene - $5K loss.
• House Fire in the 16400 block of Keats Terrace – Fire units arrived on scene to find a fire in the kitchen. Fire quickly extinguished. Cause was food left on the stove. 1 adult displaced with $50K in Structure damage and $15K for contents.
• House Fire in the 1 block of Observation Ct- Fire units responded for alarm bells sounding and arrived on scene to find a kitchen fire with extension to the cabinets. Fire sprinkler system contained fire and limited damage to only $3K.
Information & Disclaimer
If you are reporting an emergency call
Social Media Policy: http://montgomerycountymd.gov/content/mcginfo/siteFiles/socialMediaPolicy.asp
Our Social Media & Web Links
- ► 2014 (111)
- ► 2013 (200)
- ► 2012 (206)
- Video From Fireworks Press Event
- Promotion Congratulations!
- Safety, Health and Survival Week
- MCFRS is Accepting Applications for Firefighter/Re...
- MCFRS Hiring
- Current Hiring Status
- Cool Tips for Hot Weather
- Significant Fire & EMS Incidents From May 30 throu...
- MCFRS Significant Fire & EMS Incidents From May 23...
- ▼ June (9)
- ► 2010 (134)
- ► 2009 (88)
- ► 2008 (21)