Several of the safety tips for "live" Christmas tress hold true for artificial trees. Remember:
- Keep the tree away from heat sources such as fireplaces, radiators and wood stoves
- Decorate your tree using only UL (Underwriters' Lab Inc.) approved lights and cords
- Inspect lights for exposed or frayed wires, loose connections or broken sockets.
- Do not overload extension cords. Use no more than three strings of lights on one extension cord, and never run an electrical cord under a carpet.
- Turn off the tree lights when you go to bed, depart from home or leave the tree in an unattended room.