Friday, December 11, 2015

Recent “HoverBoard” Fire and Safety Tips

Recently, we have received questions regarding ‘Hoverboards” and the potential that they may cause fires. 

On November 8, 2015 units from Montgomery County Fire and Rescue responded for a reported house fire in the 7700 block of Mineral Springs Drive in Gaithersburg.  Firefighters arrived at the home to find a smoldering fire in an upstairs bedroom, which was quickly extinguished.

Fire Investigators conducted an investigation and found a “Hoverboard” was in the area of origin and was plugged into an electrical outlet to charge. The scooter caught fire and rolled to the bed igniting the bedding material. See photos below.

MCFRS offers the below safety tips for the time being until more information can be learned:

Only buy a “Hoverboard” which has been certified by a recognized testing lab such as Underwriters Laboratory (UL).  The box and/or “Hoverboard” should have the logo imprinted on it.

If you own one already - only charge the ‘hoverboard” if you are, and will be, present the entire time.

Some related articles you may find of interest:




Recent “HoverBoard” Fire

1 comment:

Terry said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.