Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Snow Related Home Safety Tips

To stay safe during today’s snow/winter weather event, the women and men of Montgomery County Fire and Rescue encourages residents to:

v  Make certain all smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are working properly.

v  Keep space heaters at least three feet from other objects and never leave space heaters

v  During a power outage, use flashlights as lighting sources and avoid using lit candles.

v  Never use generators or gas grills inside the garage or residence as they produce
deadly carbon monoxide gas.

v  Place fireplace ashes outside in a metal container with a secure lid that is at least 15 feet from a structure.

v  Keep fire hydrants on your property clear of snow, ensure that you have at least two
     clear exits out of your house and make sure your address is visible. A few minutes of
your time to help clear the snow will help emergency responders to better assist you in
the event of an emergency.

v  Make sure you have at least two clear exits out of your house. Keep an eye on snow
build up. When the snow melts and refreezes, it could prevent you from being able to
open the door and exit from your house.

v  Businesses are also reminded to clear the areas around emergency exits to ensure their customers can exit safely in an emergency.

No comments: