Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Adventures of Daniel the Intern

Note: Since last week, we here at MCFRS have an intern for the rest of the summer and possibly beyond. I thought it would be interesting for our rising high school senior Daniel to share some of his experiences with all of you as he will be getting an insider look at all we do here at fire and rescue. Many folks only see the fire trucks and ambulances going up and down the road and do not realize there is a lot more to the service than just that. Below is his first entry – a bit of an intro. More to follow.

- Bill Delaney

After having a relaxing first half of the summer, I have received an internship with the Montgomery County Fire & Rescue Service.

I will be a senior in this upcoming school year at a local Montgomery County High School. Having spent my whole life in this county, I am excited to see the behind-the-scenes of what has been protecting me for the last 17 years. In our everyday lives, we rarely get a sense of how much time, effort, and money is spent on protecting and informing the public. This rare opportunity will allow me to see how it all works.

What interests me about fires and other emergencies is that most of them could have been prevented or recognized earlier. People are generally unaware of the small steps they can take to ensure the safety of themselves and their families. Although when something unexpected happens, there are the brave and skillful people of the Montgomery County Fire & Rescue Service that dedicate their lives to helping the public.

As I progress through my internship, I hope to gain valuable experience in many different areas. I am honored to be a part of one of the most talented fire & rescue services in the nation.

No comments: