- MCFRS Home
- Chief's Blog
Wednesday, December 15, 2010
Each year fires occurring during the holiday season claim the lives of over 400 Americans, injure 1,650 more, and cause over $990 million in damage.
According to the U. S. Fire Administration (USFA), there are simple life saving steps you can take to ensure a safe and happy holiday. By following some of the outlined precautionary tips, individuals can greatly reduce their chances of becoming a holiday fire casualty.
Special fire safety precautions need to be taken when keeping a live or fresh cut tree in the house.
· Christmas Tree Fire Hazards
· Selecting a Christmas Tree
· Christmas Tree Care
Finally, as in every season, have working smoke alarms installed on every level of your home to include all sleeping areas, test them monthly, and keep them clean and equipped with fresh batteries at all times.
Know when and how to call for help (ESPECIALLY CHILDREN). Ensure your house has the address readable from the street in night time light conditions.
Have in place and remember to practice your home escape plan. The plan should have at least 2 points of escape from each living area and a meeting place outside for family members exiting the home. Meet in a safe area that is visible to responding fire department personnel. Be able to provide information for anyone not accounted for.
Information & Disclaimer
If you are reporting an emergency call
Social Media Policy: http://montgomerycountymd.gov/content/mcginfo/siteFiles/socialMediaPolicy.asp
Our Social Media & Web Links
- ► 2014 (126)
- ► 2013 (200)
- ► 2012 (206)
- ► 2011 (225)
- Don’t Become a Statistic Tonight: SoberRide offers...
- Whole Foods & Fire Station 6 A-Shift Partner on 28...
- Ice & Cold Weather Safety Tips
- Christmas Tree and Holiday Light Recycling
- MCFRS Triathlon Team Members raise $19,140 For the...
- Still Time to Drop Off a New Toy to a Local Fire S...
- Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - A Colorless, T...
- Two-Alarm Apartment Fire & Space Heater Safety
- Preventing Christmas Tree Fires
- Friday Home Fires Highlight Danger of Combustible ...
- Put a Freeze on Winter Fires
- Several Recalls of Note
- Dog Rescue
- NEWS ADVISORY: Montgomery County Fire and Explosiv...
- Fire Safe Home For The Holidays!
- Cub Scouts Visit Fire Station #34 (Milestone) For ...
- ▼ December (16)
- ► 2009 (88)
- ► 2008 (21)