Two occupants were home and the time of the fire and escaped without injury. Firefighters quickly extinguished a small fire in a second floor bedroom.
Damages were estimated at $25,000 to the structure and $15,000 to the contents. The home had smoke alarms but they did not operate. Two adults and two children have been displaced as a result of the fire.
MCFRS would like to remind all residents to check your smoke alarms regularly and please follow these safety tips while using candles in the home:
- Extinguish all candles when leaving the room or going to sleep.
- Keep candles away from items that can catch fire (e.g., clothing, books, paper, curtains, Christmas trees, flammable decorations, etc.).
- Use candle holders that are sturdy, won't tip over easily, are made from a material that can't burn and are large enough to collect dripping wax.
- Don't place lit candles in windows. Blinds and curtains can easily ignite.
- Place candle holders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface and do not use candles in places where they could be knocked over by children or pets.
- Keep candles and all open flames away from flammable liquids.
- Keep candle wicks trimmed to one-quarter inch and extinguish candles when they get to within two inches of the holder or decorative material. Votive and containers should be extinguished before the last half-inch of wax starts to melt.
- Avoid candles with decorative items embedded in them.