Friday, May 6, 2016

Candle Causes Bethesda House Fire

Candle Causes Bethesda House Fire
On Thursday, May 5 at approximately 4:23 p.m. MCFRS units responded to the 6100 block of Bradley Boulevard for a reported house fire. Battalion Chief 702 was the first to arrive on scene and reported smoke showing from the second floor.

Two occupants were home and the time of the fire and escaped without injury. Firefighters quickly extinguished a small fire in a second floor bedroom.

Fire Investigators reported to the scene to conduct an Origin and Cause investigation. The two occupants of the home indicated that a candle was lit and burning on the dresser in the bedroom. Physical exam in the room confirmed the fire originated at the candle and spread to nearby combustibles. The fire is listed as Accidental.

Damages were estimated at $25,000 to the structure and $15,000 to the contents. The home had smoke alarms but they did not operate. Two adults and two children have been displaced as a result of the fire.

MCFRS would like to remind all residents to check your smoke alarms regularly and please follow these safety tips while using candles in the home:
  • Extinguish all candles when leaving the room or going to sleep.
  • Keep candles away from items that can catch fire (e.g., clothing, books, paper, curtains, Christmas trees, flammable decorations, etc.).
  • Use candle holders that are sturdy, won't tip over easily, are made from a material that can't burn and are large enough to collect dripping wax.
  • Don't place lit candles in windows. Blinds and curtains can easily ignite.
  • Place candle holders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface and do not use candles in places where they could be knocked over by children or pets.
  • Keep candles and all open flames away from flammable liquids.
  • Keep candle wicks trimmed to one-quarter inch and extinguish candles when they get to within two inches of the holder or decorative material. Votive and containers should be extinguished before the last half-inch of wax starts to melt.
  • Avoid candles with decorative items embedded in them.
For more tips go here: Candle Safety

No comments: