Closing Date: May 23, 2016
TODAY, the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service (MCFRS) begins accepting applications for the position of Firefighter/Rescuer I (Recruit). Applications will be accepted until May 23, 2016 at midnight. MCFRS Firefighter/Rescuers receive outstanding benefits, including a 20-year retirement with no age limit, group health and life insurance, paid holidays, paid vacation and paid sick leave. This recruitment will be used to establish eligibility for a Recruit Class that will begin in December, 2016. Applications will only be accepted on-line.
The Firefighter/Rescuer I position is an entry level position. Applicants must:
1. Be 17 ½ years of age to apply and 18 years of age at time of appointment
2. Possess a high school diploma or GED within two months from time of application
3. Be a U.S. citizen or resident alien
4. Possess a valid motor vehicle driver’s license (non-provisional at the time of appointment)
Based upon service needs, hiring preferences may be given to those applicants who possess one or more of the following at the time of application (subject to verification):
• Veterans and veterans with disabilities
• Paramedic (National Registry Paramedic)
• Residency in Montgomery County
• Multi-lingual skills (Spanish, Amharic, Chinese; French, Korean, Vietnamese, American-Sign Language)
• Two years employment in a customer service related field
• Bachelor’s degree
• Thirty or more college credits (from an accredited college or university)
The hiring process includes a written exam, oral interview, background screening, medical exam, and the Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT). Applicants who meet the minimum requirements will be invited to take the written examination, which is tentatively scheduled for June 16, 17 and 18, 2016.
For important information regarding the hiring process, critical dates and information, prospective applicants can visit http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/MCFRS-recruiting/application.html
Montgomery County is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity. It is the policy of Montgomery County to conduct all employment activities in a manner that will ensure equal employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, genetic status, or political affiliation.