Wheaton, MD July 22, 2009 - At approximately 4:20 PM units from Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service responded to 12909 Estelle Road in the Wheaton-Glenmont area for a reported house fire. Units arrived on the scene to find a two level single family home with fire on the first floor and extending to other areas of the home. Firefighters were also faced with a significant electrical hazard on the front yard when the homes' electrical wires came down and energized the fence in the front yard.
Two occupants were home at the time of the fire. The adult female occupant stated she woke up when she felt heat around her feet and the smoke alarm activated. The adult female and teenager exited safely. It took firefighters 15-20 minutes to extinguish the fire. The adult female occupant and a firefighter were transported for a medical evaluation and are expected to be treated and released.
Fire Explosive Investigators estimated damages at $450,000. Origin of the fire is the first floor bedroom, and the cause is likely to be accidental involving an overloaded electrical circuit.
LOCATION: 12909 Estelle Road (Wheaton -Glenmont area)
ORIGIN/CAUSE: 1st floor bedroom / Accidental
INJURY: Two - 1 F/F, 1 Civilian (adult female)
DISPLACEMENT: 5 adults 1 Teenager
FIRE PROTECTION: Smoke alarm activated
Photos courtesy of Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service