Saturday, July 11, 2009

Automatic Fire Sprinklers Save Again!

Rockville, MD July 11, 2009 - Early this morning at approximately 1:30 AM, units from Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service were dispatched for a fire in the Shoppers Food Warehouse at 18140 Village Center Drive.

Workers in the store reported seeing and smelling smoke and upon discovering the fire, they promptly exited the building to safety. The automatic fire sprinkler system operated to control the fire and Montgomery County Fire & Rescue units completed the extinguishment.

Chief Fire Marshal Mike Love noted, “This is the second time in less than a week where we have seen evidence showing the value of automatic fire sprinklers in their value to save lives and property. No home or business should be without automatic fire sprinklers.”

Fire Investigators determined that the fire started in a fluorescent light ballast attached to the refrigeration unit (see photo). The store is allowed to reopen although approximately half of it will be closed for a short time. Total damage estimates are still pending.

No comments: