Thursday, July 9, 2009

Illegal Fireworks Display Injures 20 Month Old Child

First Reported Firework Related Injury In 5 Years

On July 4, 2009 at approximately 11 PM, a 20 month old female was brought to Shady Grove Adventist Hospital (SGAH) by her parents with burns on her back. SGAH staff contacted the on-duty Fire Investigators who responded to the hospital.

Upon questioning the child’s parents, it was learned that she was burned by fireworks that had inadvertently flown into her stroller during an illegal display at a private residence. Fire Investigators were able to locate and interview the resident where the illegal fireworks display had occurred. The resident confirmed that a fireworks package, that shot multiple flame balls, tipped over and shot burning material into the bystanders and injured the child. The child received second degree burns to 4%, and third degree burns to 1% of her body. She was treated at SGAH and was released shortly thereafter.

This is the first reported firework related injury in the county in roughly five years. Charges are pending against the defendant.

Please remember that ALL Fireworks are illegal in Montgomery County throughout the year.

No comments: