I wanted to make everyone aware of an extra effort made by personnel assigned to our Fire Station 31 yesterday. Our fire trucks were sent to Tobytown Drive for smoke coming from a town house. Units arrived on scene to find fire in the flue of a malfunctioning furnace. The fire was extinguished and fire fighters found flue from furnace to be significantly clogged.
Based on these findings, they planned a door to door saftey check in the neighborhood that same day to try and make sure smoke alarms were working and that homes did not have any carbon monoxide buildup (which can result from a clogged flu). See the Google Map street view below as this is a new feature we are trying. You can walk the neighborhood as well. (If no map is visible it is because there is a high volume of traffic on the Google site. Just click on "View larger map" link and it will come up)
View Larger Map
Led by Captain Troy Lipp, crews from Enging 731 and Truck 731 walked door to door to each home on Tobytown Drive and checked the homes (and around the furnaces) for carbon monoxide emmisions and made sure each home had working smoke alarms. They also made sure to distribute furnace safety information to all 25 homes on the street.
All in all MCFRS personnel:
MET WITH 14 OCCUPANTS
DISTRIBUTED LITERATURE AT: 25 RESIDENCES
TESTED: 24 SMOKE DETECTORS
INSTALLED: 3 NEW SMOKE DETECTORS
INSTALLED: 2 NEW BATTERIES
Many thanks to Captain Lipp and the crew at Fire Station 31 for being proactive and attempting to prevent any future 9-1-1 calls and making 25 homes in the county just a little bit safer for the holiday's!
As always, I hope everyone out there STAYS SAFE! Bill Delaney