Please take a moment to review the below related safety tips to help make sure you enjoy your fireplace or wood burning stove safely.
Fireplace and wood-stove ashes retain enough heat to ignite other combustible materials for several days after a fire. It is important to learn the following ways to dispose of fireplace and wood-stove ashes properly:
- DO NOT discard your ashes into any combustible container like a paper or plastic bag, a cardboard box, or a plastic trash can.
- DO put ashes into a non-combustible metal container with a lid.
- DO pour water into the container to make sure the ashes are cool.
- DO keep your can OUTSIDE the home, away from combustibles.
- DO teach all family members to be safe with ashes from your fireplace or wood stove.
As always, please make sure you test your smoke alarms monthly and replace batteries twice a year. Practice and plan a family home escape plan.