Sunday, April 24, 2011

News Advisory: House Fire in Potomac Claims a Life


Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service (MCFRS) personnel were called at 0435 hours for a house fire to the rear of 10416 Gainsborough Road in the Falls Road area of Potomac. Units arrived on the scene of a working fire at 8509 Scarboro Court in a large 2 story single family home. Heavy fire was found in the kitchen area on the first floor of the house. An unconscious, elderly male was located in a second floor bedroom and removed from the structure. Advanced Life Support treatment was initiated immediately and he was transported to Suburban Hospital where he was pronounced dead a short time later. A second elderly male was located outside the house and he also was treated and transported to Suburban Hospital for evaluation of smoke inhalation.

The fire originated in the kitchen on the stove top. A heavily damaged sauce pan was located on the burner of the stove top where the survivor stated they were cooking. It appears the fire burned for some time before being seen by the neighbor after it vented through the kitchen window.

An estimated 65 fire and rescue personnel responded to the scene and it took 25 minutes to bring the fire under control. There were no fire and rescue injuries. The name of the deceased is not being released pending notification of family.

# # #

No comments: