- Avoid grilling on the deck.
- Know the Code. Codes are established to ensure your safety.
- Light it up! Prevent trips and falls by incorporating lighting on your deck.
- Take time each year to check your deck.
- Check not only the stairs/steps of your deck, but also all railings. Repair any area that is unstable. Also look for any trip hazards, such as loose wood. Lean from side to side on each stair to see if the stair wobbles. Look carefully at the points of connection between the stairs and the deck and replace anything that looks old or compromised.
Montgomery County Department of Permitting Services provided deck safety info for a segment on WRC TV 4.