Firefighters quickly went to work to bring the fire under control and search for any children who were reported trapped. The initial search did not result in anyone being found.
The initial 911 call was received from a passer-by who indicated she had been driving northbound on Norbeck Road when she noticed a heavy dark colored column of smoke. As she got closer, she noticed a woman standing in the road and stopped to assist. The individual stated to the passer-by that “the kids are in the kitchen” at which point the Good Samaritan called 911 and relayed this information. It was later learned that the occupant of the home was referring to a doll collection as her “kids.”
Fire Investigators have listed this fire as accidental, the result of unattended cooking.
An equivalent of two-alarms worth of apparatus plus an EMS Task Force (due to initial report of persons trapped) resulted in roughly 85-100 fire and rescue personnel, along with approximately 40 fire and rescue units, on scene at various points.
Damages were estimated at $400,000.00 to the structure and $150,000.00 to the contents of the home. There were no reported injuries to civilian or fire and rescue personnel. One adult female has been displaced as a result of the fire.