This past week, four workers were operating a portable generator inside a house in an unventilated area and had to be rushed to area hospitals suffering from Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning.
As we all know, Summer brings severe weather that at times will cause power outages. More and more residents are relying on portable generators to provide power to their homes during these times. Please take a moment to review the below safety tips. If you do not have a portable generator but know someone who does, please make sure you share this important information!
1. Make sure your home has a carbon monoxide alarm. As with smoke alarms, install a carbon monoxide alarm on every level of your home, especially near sleeping areas, and keep them at least 15 feet away from fuel-burning appliances.
2. Carbon monoxide alarms are not substitutes for smoke alarms, and vice versa. Combination smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are available.
3. Never use a grill, generator or camping stove inside your home, garage or near a window. The generator should be at least 20 feet clear of any garage, window or vent.
4. Follow the instructions that come with your generator. Locate the unit outdoors and far from doors, windows, and vents that could allow CO to come indoors.
5. If using gasoline-powered devices, store gasoline in a locked location where children cannot access it. Keep only small quantities in an approved container that has child safety features.
6. Keep gasoline away from any source of heat, spark or flame. Even common household appliances such as water heaters and clothes dryers can start a fire. Be sure to store your gasoline away from anything that could ignite it.
7. Before refueling the generator, turn it off and let it cool down. Gasoline spilled on hot engine parts could ignite.