Monday, February 1, 2016

House Fire in the 9500 Block of Biltmore Drive, Silver Spring

At approximately 5:45 PM on Sunday, January 31 MCFRS was notified by a monitoring company, via an automatic/monitored alarm in the home, that there was a smoke alarm activation at a home in the 9500 block of Biltmore Drive in Silver Spring.

Crews from Silver Spring Fire Station #16 responded and upon arriving on scene, found fire in the basement of the two story home.  The fire was in the laundry room with some extension to the first floor.  Additional units were requested and responded.

Two adults and one child in the home were alerted to the fire by a working smoke alarm and evacuated. 

In addition, firefighters were able to quickly locate, and use, the nearest fire hydrant as neighbors had previously shoveled and cleared around the hydrant located at Biltmore Drive and E. Franklin Avenue.  Well done neighbors!

The fire was quickly extinguished.  One adult occupant did suffer a little smoke inhalation and was transported to a local hospital for a checkup.  There were no firefighter injuries.

Cause of the fire was listed as accidental as a result of an overheated clothes dryer. Damages were estimated to be approximately $135K.  The family was displaced as a result of the damage to the home.

Recently, MCFRS has responded to several fires involving clothes dryers.  Learn a few tips to help prevent this: Clothes Dryer Cleaning Day – Preventing A Potential Fire In Your Home!

House Fire in the 9500 Block of Biltmore Drive, Silver Spring

No comments: